Thursday, July 4, 2013

Another Experience with the French Medical System – this time it’s Anna’s turn

The saga continues… At David's insistence, I called my doctor’s office in the US and was told to take Ibuprofen and use ice and go to a French doctor if I wasn’t better in two days.  The two days brought very little improvement so Dominique came to my rescue. 
She called her doctor Monday morning and got me squeezed in for an appointment at
Dominique's doctor - thank
goodness he could fit me in!
noon.  Roger drove us to the doctor’s and even borrowed someone’s car since he didn’t think his sporty Mercedes would do.  The doctor asked questions, did a physical examination of my hip and leg, and checked it out via Ultrasound.  Then he said “Aha!” and pointed to a little, tiny white area with uneven edges.  He had found the culprit – a small calcification in my hip in the tendon that runs from the top of the hip to the foot.  He gave me a cortisone shot, and told me the pain would lessen, and I would feel much better soon. 
We sat down at his desk while he printed out some lovely ultrasound pix, his diagnosis, my prescription, and the bill for 60 €.  I paid with my Carte Bleu, thanked him profusely, and shook his hand.  (He seemed a little surprised when I put out my hand – I really don’t think many French people, especially those in “professions”, know what to do with those odd, informal Americans.)  The total cost at the pharmacy for a cortisone shot (to replace the one he gave me) and a pain killer came to under 8 €.  And, the whole thing took around ½ hour to 45 minutes.  As he predicted the pain became less and less impressive, and I am recovering nicely and strolling around town again.
We have commented before on how relatively inexpensive the French medical system is – even for outsiders like us.  Why?  Well, government subsidies, of course, but also the WAY it works.  The doctor was there alone (possibly because it was lunch time) – no receptionist, no assistant – just him.  He took down all my information, he did the ultrasound, he gave me to shot, he wrote everything up and printed it out, and he took my payment.  I never got the feeling his practice was at all bargain-basement as he is a respected rheumatologist with lots of nice creds; it is just a very efficient way of doing things.  But, it certainly helps to know someone who will help you navigate the system – I don’t know what I would have done without Dominique!  PS-As I post this, the pain is all but a memory, I'm walking everywhere, and all is well.  I also have a new-found appreciation for the ability to walk, sit, and just exist without pain. It's amazing what one takes for granted.  I feel am truly blessed!
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment