Thursday, June 28, 2018

2018 Bike Trip - Day 7

We had breakfast at the hotel in Avignon – juice, bread, croissants, jam, tea/coffee.  We then took a short tour - about 3km- around the walled town on our bikes, and took a few photos at the square where the Palais des Papes is located.
Palais des Papes - Avignon
Roger at the Palais des Papes

The rest of the crew at the Palais des Papes
I drove leaving Avignon, which turned out to be a bit of an ordeal as they are putting in a tramway system outside the walls and traffic was backed up everywhere.  It took us about 40 minutes just to get through town and on the way to the A7.  

We somehow missed the turn for the A7 north and wound up heading northeast on a smaller road.  We were going in the right general direction so we headed in a direction we hoped would take us eventually to the Autoroute. 
We stopped in a small town for lunch on the square then Tom drove.  Roger wanted to find a winery so we could get some rosés for Dominique, so we found one and pulled in.  A very nice woman met us and poured some roses for us to sample.  Roger selected two different wines – one for drinking on the terasse, and one a more serious wine.  I bought a red Vayqueras, which is a Cote du Rhone appellation. 

We finally found the A7, and headed for Lyon, arriving in the evening.  We stopped at Roger’s place and unloaded our stuff.  I rode my bike from Roger’s place as driving to our apartment would take longer than riding my bike and Gérard still had to take his car to his place.  I left my six bottles with Roger until our semi-traditional BBQ get-together on Thursday at Roger’s.  I managed to hang a couple of bags from my handlebars with the honey and the Vayqueras.

No comments:

Post a Comment