Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Mystique of “La Bise”

One of the most interesting (and pleasant!) customs in France is “la bise,” the exchange of kisses on the cheek when one meets a friend, family member, or even is introduced for the first time. (The kisses aren’t really kisses in that one’s lips don’t usually touch the other person’s cheeks.)



It’s really a lovely, warm way to greet people, but it can get cumbersome at times, and it can be awkward for the uninitiated. Picture several of us in my French conversation “class” at AVF. Assuming we all arrived at about the same time, we each exchange “la bise” or “faire la bise”. It can look almost like two sport teams lining up and shaking hands after a game. So far so good. But, not everyone arrives at the same time – in fact people sort of dribble in one-by-one over the next half hour or so. Each new entry is expected to greet each and every one of the others with “la bise.” As you can imagine, this can be a little disruptive to the class. (“Work arounds” can be creative as demonstrated by a fellow American who recently arrived quite late to class. She entered the room, saw that there were already about fifteen of us gathered around a table in the rather small room, did a beauty queen two-handed kiss directed at all of us, and said, “bise, everyone.” Got to love American ingenuity!)


But, wait it can be more complicated than that! How many kisses? And, which cheek do you start on? Lyon is pretty laid back on the protocol; just one kiss on each cheek, and figure out where to start as you go. (I’ve noticed most people start on their right side, kissing the other person’s left cheek.) It seems to work just fine; I’ve never seen any accidents. (David reminds me we have an Irish friend who simply leans her face forward and lets the other person pick the cheek. Whatever works.)


However, not all of France is as relaxed about this as Lyon is. Here is a map showing how many kisses are expected in various regions in France. I have to admit, I’m not sure how up to date this map is since the protocol for this custom seems to be pretty fluid. But, I wouldn’t want to be in my French class in Brittany or Champagne – we’d never have time for conversation!


It’s always interesting to learn new customs, and this one is a particularly enjoyable one!

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to carry on the custom of 'la bise' when you return? If so, I hope it is champagne style.

    Your thanksgiving meal sounds most complicated in transport but a yummy conclusion.

    Did you hesr that we were 'iced in' for Thanksgiving? We got snow and ice on that monday...snow off and on again for the next few days including early Thanksgiving morning. My car and my driveway make the manuevering on ice impossible. I was house bound for 3 days when a friend with 4 wheel drive picked me up to go grocery shopping. my friend's son where I was spending Thanksgiving picked me up for the occassion on Thanksgiving Day. Since I was stuck I made use of my time and began putting up holiday decorations.

    I sat down and read alot of your past blogs today/tonight. I am most impressed with your grasp and knowledge of French History.

    Are any of your kids coming over to visit for the holidays? I promise to be a much more regular commentor as I truly love living vicariously through you.

    Predictions are for the worst winter here in 50 years. Does it get snowy and cold there in the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi GG-
    Glad you are still enjoying the blog!

    Can't you see La Bise at Rotary? The meetings would never get started!

    Have to give David the lion's share of credit for history.

    We've been hearing and reading about Puget Sound weather - sounds like you folks are in for an interesting winter! We have snow right now and it's beautiful.

    Cheers,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete