Wednesday, November 10, 2010

THE NEW 'DO - part 2

David’s Story:



I can admit some degree of sympathy on this one – I got my first haircut about six weeks after our arrival in Lyon. Trying to find a place was the first hurdle – I did not want to use a ‘beauty parlor’, even though most advertise men’s and women’s cuts. My hair is straight-forward, and I thought a simple cut was the way to go. I finally asked our French daughter, Estelle, and she checked with her male co-workers who recommended a barber shop about a kilometer away. Twice I walked to the shop; both times it was closed, even though it was supposed to be open. [One of the fun things about French shop-owners is the individuality of the business.] Finally I arrived when he was there a working on a customer, and promptly sat down in the wrong chair to wait my turn. As part of the service, you get a shampoo and I had chosen the chair where this process took place. Once I understood the process, and told the barber [who spoke no English] how much hair to remove, the results were great.


So watching Anna agonize for weeks was an experience. First she announced that she was going to wait and let her hair grow longer. Then she discussed French beauty shops with our landlady, who kindly volunteered to go with Anna the first time. Anna wanted to do it herself, so she went out one day to face the ordeal. I told her I would have a gin and tonic waiting when she got back. As the hours went by, I wondered if she had gotten lost, or could not face coming home with the results.


But, as you have seen, it all came out well – we celebrated with some Champagne, and one more adventure goes into the record book.

1 comment:

  1. where can I see your haircut? Wish I was there to celebrate with the gin and tonic

    ReplyDelete