Friday, June 28, 2013

Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch...

I had just seen David and Roger off at the train station as they left on their bike trip from Evian-les-Bains to Lyon.  It
Lovely, historic Gare Perrache -
 where David & Roger caught the train
was a lovely sunny day, and I had no real commitments until my lunch date with Estelle, our "French daughter,"on
Roger took this picture of me taking a picture of
David and Roger at the train station.
Thursday.  So I wandered around our neighborhood enjoying our belated spring, and then settled in for a nice, relaxing couple of days of shopping, chatting with friends, reading, etc. – nothing too taxing. 


Thursday morning I took a tram to Place Carnot and strolled and window-shopped my way to Place Bellecour.  Then I stopped in at a bookstore and ordered David’s Fathers’ Day present. (I was feeling very proud of myself because I asked the clerk to look for the book for me in the store, to check with other of their stores, and to order it – all in French!)  Then I went in search of a needle work shop I had seen last year when I was out with Dominique, our landlady.  I had an idea of the general area but not the street or the name of the place.  After wandering around several blocks in the area, I found it and bought a needle point pillow kit - a nice project to start while David's on his trip. Then I made my way down the pedestrian shopping avenue towards the business area and my bus stop.  I caught my C3 and got off and cut through Les Halles Paul Bocuse and came back to our apartment.  Why am I telling you all this?  Because what happened next is in total contrast to this lovely morning.
As I was walking to our apartment, I became aware that my left hip was hurting a bit.  (I have mild arthritis-type pain in the hip periodically – no big deal.)  Since I had time before I needed to leave for my lunch date, I took a couple of aspirins, sat down and went through my needle point kit. My hip still hurt a bit when I walked over to meet Estelle.  In fact, I noticed the pain seemed to be increasing through lunch, and, by the time I got back to the apartment after lunch, it was all I could do to take a Tylenol 3 and climb into bed.  (How dramatic!) That was how David found me the next day when he called a lunch to tell me when he would be home.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment